Saturday, September 19, 2009

Shinsegae and Myeongdong adventures

Before eating dinner at Din Tai Fung, we did some wandering around. I took the husband to check out the basement food court area at Shinsegae, since he'd never been. Shinsegae is one of the premier department stores in Korea. The annex building that we wandered through first contains lots of things behind glass with no price tags. Those are the kinds of places that always remind me of my mom when I was kid telling me not to touch things.

Hint: If you're in Japan or Korea, and you don't know where to go eat, the basement levels of department stores are usually food courts and grocery stores. We saw Indian food, sushi (on a conveyor belt), Italian food, Chinese steamed dumplings, Auntie Anne's pretzels, Sticky Fingers bakery (no, not the bbq place), and the grocery store. It's pretty impressive the amount of prepared foods that are available. It's no wonder one of my co-workers goes there 2-3 times a week for lunch and comes back with something different every time.

This is the view in the direction we live from the 10th floor of Shinsegae, the terrace or garden (I can't remember what it was called).

There were benches and fountains.

The other week, on my way to work in the mornings, I saw people taking photos in this direction. This happened on three different days at the same spot. So I figured, eh, I'll stop by and see what they were all taking photos of. I think it was this building. Which happens to have a post office on the ground floor, and they put a santa hat on the sign in the front during December.

This is a church in Myeongdong.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: