Saturday, September 19, 2009

Din Tai Fung again

A couple of weeks ago we went to Din Tai Fung for the first time. Ever since then, I've been craving the steamed pork dumplings, so we headed back over there. It's a popular place. The first time we went, we timed it just right and didn't have to wait. This time, the greeter handed us a piece of paper with a number on it. Fortunately, the wait wasn't long, and our number was called within about 20 minutes. But that gave me plenty of time to people watch. Let's just say I'm glad my husband doesn't bite my arm in public.

One of the things I love about being outside of the U.S. is the normal sized portions of things. At one point when I was living in Japan, I had to explain the concept of a 7-11 Super Big Gulp. They couldn't understand why someone would want so much soda at any one time. And considering it can take me a good 4 hours to work my way through a standard 12-oz soda, I understand their confusion or lack of understanding about why on earth anyone would want 32 oz of anything at once. So, here's a photo of a single serving can of Coke.

This is the braised beef soup with bok choy. Mmmm. Yummy. With only two people, we didn't order that much. With 3 people, there's enough for every one to get a bowl. With only 2 people, some of us got second servings.

These are the spring rolls.

I'd have taken a photo of the dumplings, but by the time they arrived, I was too impatient to take the time to take a photo. So even though I was really full due to that second serving of braised beef soup, I managed to consume my half of the steamed dumplings in record time. But you can see what they looked like based on my previous post.

For those of you in the Greater Los Angeles area... Din Tai Fung, 1108 South Baldwin Ave., Arcadia, CA.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: