Sunday, September 28, 2008

More Seoul Searching

Yes, we wandered some more again today. This time near Jongno in search of Young-poong Bookstore so I could get some office supplies and a key chain. While every other key I have is one of the electronic key cards that I regularly mess up, I do have one for my desk at work that is a real key. And I tend to lose it at the bottom of my bag every day and have to search for it every morning when I arrive at work. Anyway, this first photo is of Jongno Tower, and one of these days I will go to the top and have a drink, I hear there's a bar up there.


Across the corner from Jongno Tower is the Bosin-gak, a bell tower. The bell was used during the Joseon period to mark time and to announce emergencies, such as fire. Now it is rung only on New Year's. From the front, it is really difficult to see the bell, but if you walk around behind, in the alley, the bell becomes visible. In front, there are three guys in traditional Korean outfits preventing people from walking into the structure. There were several DVD shops along the alley behind this. But not the usual rent a DVD, take it home, watch it, return it kind of store. Instead, you pick out your DVD, and then you watch it there in the shop in a small room.


Home sweet home. View of our apartment building from the sidewalk in front of the Bosin-gak.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: