Saturday, April 19, 2008

Movie Review: Forbidden Kingdom

We got free passes for last night's "premiere" of Forbidden Kingdom, starring Jet Li and Jackie Chan. I got dragged along, kicking and screaming, because I could think of lots of other things I'd rather be doing than watching a martial arts film.

But it turns out that despite the whole movie theater experience (there's a reason I prefer renting videos -- better snacks and no smelly people that invade my personal space), the movie was pretty good. My definition of a good movie is one where I don't look at my watch during the show to see how much longer I have to suffer. So, in this case, I was actually entertained.

I had a hard time understanding Jackie Chan on more than one occasion. And I thought some of the lines were a bit on the cheesy side. And like any other movie with long drawn out scenes, such as car crashes, things getting blown up, I thought some of the fight scenes went on a bit too long. But despite not being an aficionado of martial arts movies, let alone not having any knowledge whatsoever of martial arts movies, I enjoyed the movie.

No comments: