Monday, April 7, 2008

Beef Pot Roast -- Two Thumbs Up!

Last weekend, in between frantic bouts of work, I managed to cook a few things. One was the Beef Roast Braised in Zinfandel recipe from SimplyRecipes.com. For the most part, I followed the recipe exactly, but in the interests of getting work done, I had to perform a few shortcuts. Based on the result, these didn't impact the final outcome one bit.

1) I used a cabernet sauvignon (one of the under 7$ a bottle brands) instead of the zinfandel
2) I didn't tie the roast together (I didn't have any string)
3) I didn't turn the roast every 45 minutes -- too much work for me to pay attention to the food that frequently

After 3 hours of cooking, the meat was falling apart. I managed to pull out most of the vegetables before running the sauce through a sieve, but I did miss a carrot or piece of celery in a few spots. But overall, that didn't change the delicious outcome. This was excellent served with mashed potatoes on the side.

No comments: