Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Mexican Pork

I made this the other day and it was a huge hit with Carlon. Unfortunately for me, it was a tad too spicy. The flavor was good, but the afterburn was a bit much for my tender tastebuds. This one is also from Pure Flavor.

2 1/4 lbs boneless pork sirloin chops, cut into 1/2" cubes (I used boneless pork roast, I think -- basically whatever I had in the freezer that day)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tbl olive oil
1 cup chicken stock
1 7oz can or jar salsa verde (mild to medium) -- I used Herdez salsa verde, and the only heat option was HOT!!!
6 cloves garlic crushed or chopped
2 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 1/2 tbl ground cumin
1 tbl + 1 tsp chili powder
1 tbl dried oregano
dash cayenne pepper

In bowl, season pork with salt and pepper.

In large skillet (I used a dutch oven with a lid) over high heat, heat the oil and add the pork, searing it on one side. Stir the pork and continue searing it on all sides, stirring occasionally. Pork is done when liquid in pan has evaporated.

Add chicken stock through cayenne and 3 cups of water to the skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 to 45 minutes until desired amount of sauce is left.

No comments: