Friday, August 22, 2008

Hurricane Watch, Amazon Kindle, Olympics, and Other Observations

So, we're stuck in a hotel. There's a tropical storm hovering over us. We've been watching the Olympics. I've been reading.

Fortunately the electricity is still on, but since I've just written that, it will undoubtedly go out at any moment. That's ok, we have our water and our canned, non-perishable food to get us through a day or two. We've been in a hotel now for almost a week, with another week or more to go depending on how things work out. Things to do -- find laundry services that will not exhaust my daily laundry per diem. Fortunately we're in a place with a microwave and refrigerator so we've been able to go to the store and get a few things so we don't have to eat restaurant food all the time.

Yes, I know, some folks eat out at restaurants all the time, but I find that as I get older, restaurant food doesn't sit so well with me. Some places I get a stomach ache, and some I just end up with that over-full greasy feeling. So having the option of going to the store is really, really nice. It isn't home cooking, but it's better than fast food or over-priced entrees on a daily basis.

We've been watching the Olympics. Go Trinis!! Anyway, we're limited to the channels that the hotel has, which is pretty much the basic network and cable channels. I enjoy watching the Olympics. I admire the athletes so much -- the time, energy, and effort they put into their sport of choice to get to this level is quite impressive. That being said, why is it that every time a US athlete fails to get the gold, the interviewer puts them on the spot and punches them in the stomach figuratively? Ok, you've spent months, years of your life working so hard to get to this point, and something happens and you don't make the final, and to get back to the locker room, you have to pass the NBC interviewer, who is going to ask you some of the most insensitive questions I've ever heard. And in addition to watching these incredibly uncomfortable and insenstive interviews, why is it that the network has to show you every single fall or stumble from every single camera angle available? I know the gymnast fell off the apparatus, I don't need to see it from every single angle, the left, the right, from above, from below, from 45 degrees to the side. She fell. We saw it the first time. We don't need a gazillion replays. Please, move on.

When we're not watching the Olympics and I'm not working, I've been reading. I splurged on an Amazon Kindle and am thoroughly enjoying it. I've had a few issues where it hasn't been that responsive and I've had to re-set it. But I have a 2 GB SD Card in there, and room for many, many books. It's actually almost too easy to flip between books because now I don't have to get up and physically go to one of the piles of books I used to have sitting around the room. Now, I just press the home button, and select one of the many other books available to me.

Anyway, it's now raining, the wind is still blowing, and we're stuck here for a while longer.

No comments: