Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Mac & Cheese: The Repeat


I made mac & cheese again, using this recipe I previously tried. This time I used provolone instead of gruyere because the gruyere received a definitive thumbs down. I kind of liked it, but agree that it was a bit strong. I used a blend of cheddar and provolone with some monterey jack in the cheese sauce this time. On top of the casserole, I put provolone and cheddar.

The original recipe calls for chipotle chile powder, which I still don't have on hand. I used about an eighth of a teaspoon of hot paprika in the cheese sauce, plus the garlic powder and salt called for in the recipe. I sprinkled some regular Hungarian paprika on top before I baked it.

With the provolone and cheddar combination, it seems like some onion would have tasted really good in there. The next time, I'll probably try mixing in some onion powder, or other form of onion to give it just a hint of flavor. Another option would be to very finely chop some onion and mix it in with the cheese sauce and pasta before baking.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: