Monday, May 5, 2008

Lasagne: Carrabba's v Maggiano's

We've recently had the opportunity to eat out numerous times, so often in fact, that I've forgotten what we have in the refrigerator. The other week we ate at Carrabba's here in Jacksonville, and last Thursday we ate at Maggiano's in Tampa. And I tried the lasagne at both of them. And my favorite was Carrabba's.

The Maggiano's lasagne was huge. Gigantic. So large it could have fed 3-4 people, at a minimum. And that was for a single serving. It also had layers of sausage slices, which I'm not that fond of in my lasagne, with meat sauce poured on top. The ratio of sauce to lasagne wasn't very good -- I prefer plenty of sauce to ricotta, but I had to scrape the plate to get enough sauce. The sauce was poured on top of the lasagne, then the plate was placed in the oven to heat it up before being served.

The Carrabba's lasagne wasn't so huge, it was a decent sized serving, and I brought some home as leftovers. The sauce was baked with the lasagne, and the sauce to lasagne ratio meant that there was a good mix of sauce, noodle, and ricotta in each bite.

We were going to have dessert at Maggiano's, but when the waiter described it as being an 1/8th of a basketball in size, we decided that it was too large, even for two people to share.

No comments: