Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Keyless Cars

Fortunately (or unfortunately depending upon your perspective) I get to drive rental cars for work every now and then, which gives me an opportunity to test drive new cars. Based on my purely unscientific observations, American made cars are gas guzzlers. It takes me a whole tank of gas to get to Orlando in an American made car. But the Nissan Altima I got to drive the other day took only half a tank of gas to go all the way to Orlando and beyond AND back.

Not only that, the car was keyless. And if you haven't used a keyless car before, it definitely takes some getting used to. I'm completely conditioned to using a key to start my car. It's a habit. Anyway, this particular keyless car has a key ring type thing that you use to unlock and lock the car. And you MUST keep this key ring thing with you to start the car. One of the nice things about a car key is that you place the key in the ignition, which provides a handy place to put the key. With a keyless car, there's no convenient place to place the key ring thing. I was very worried that I was going to lose the key ring thing IN the car.

Despite the weirdness of a keyless car, I really enjoyed driving the Altima.

No comments: