Wednesday, October 3, 2007

"Damaged Pavement"

One of the differences in driving between California and Florida (in fact, between California and most of the rest of the country that I've seen), is that in California, you take your chances with the road. The assumption is made that you're paying attention to the road and can see that the pavement changes ahead. Or that you can see the pothole that might swallow your car. But in other parts of the country, the DOT folks are kind enough to place signs that warn you of imminent car swallowing sections of road, or that there might be a slight bump in the road.

Here in Florida, though, while driving north on I-95 I saw a sign that said Damaged Pavement Ahead. I spent miles waiting to see a section of damaged pavement. I think I was in another county by the time I realized they were probably referring to this very slight section of cracked pavement that I'd passed way back when that I barely noticed. Now, in California, cracked sections of pavement don't merit whole entire signs, so I was quite curious to see what they meant by damaged pavement, and wondered if I was going to have to detour or something. But no, they were just being kind and considerate, and letting drivers know that up ahead, the feel of the pavement was going to change slightly and that it wasn't anything to be concerned about.

No comments: