Friday, July 3, 2009

It's good to be home...

I'm back home in Seoul now. I was not looking forward to the flight back, but I managed to sleep through most of it. I got on the plane, sat down, buckled my seatbelt, and the next thing I knew, we were taking off. Then I dozed again, and it was beverage service time. Then meal time. I only managed a few games of free cell (instead of the hundreds of games on the last flight). It made the whole experience pass by that much faster.

The other thing I noticed... I have now flown Korean Air four times in the past two months. On this last flight, the 4th, the flight attendant actually had a little card that showed how to eat bibimbap. I've now been offered bibimbap 4 separate times, but this was the first time they provided instructions. Korean Air bibimbap meal comes with a plastic tub of rice, a bowl full of meat and vegetables, and a tube of red pepper paste. You put the rice in the bowl, stir everything up and add red pepper paste to taste. I'm not sure that my Japanese seat mate realized that she might want to taste test it before putting the entire tube of red pepper paste in to the bibimbap. She was mighty uncomfortable there for a while trying to eat her meal.

Anyway, I'm back home, enjoying rainy season. Yesterday it was almost a Florida downpour. On my way to work, I was looking at the clouds thinking they had that dark look that clouds in Florida have before they open up and dump everything on you. Here, it was raining very heavily, but not as heavy as it does when you're driving on I-95 and it starts to pour, and you turn your windshield wipers on as fast as they can go, and you have to slow down to about 5 miles an hour, because you can't see anything. I do believe though that I need a new 5000 won umbrella, because mine has sprung leaks.

Oh, and there was thunder and lightning! It was great. I do miss the afternoon rain storms. I remember the afternoons in my old office in Jacksonville, watching the storms come in, and the rain hit the windows, and the flashes of lightning.

Oh, it's good to be back. I had noodles and kimbap for lunch yesterday. And I'm planning on heading over to Chef Meili's in Itaewon for dinner -- haven't been there now in months! And the fruits and vegetables are so good! The plums I've seen in the fruit stalls on the streets look so delicious. I'm going to get some the next time I walk by a stand!

No comments: