Saturday, May 30, 2009

Summer Vacations and Graduations

I just got back from my summer vacation. Yes, I know, summer doesn't officially start until later in June. But it was warm, even bordering on hot, in Florida and California, and definitely warmer then Seoul, so summer vacation it is. It was also the season of graduations. Congratulations to the Cal Arts Class of 2009. I have to admit that I was somewhat disappointed, I thought that there might be more radical exhibitionism than was on display at the graduation ceremony. But I look forward to seeing the work of my brother and his friends in the future.

Summer, ah, how I love thee... warm enough to sit outside in the evening and enjoy a lovely, chilled glass of sauvignon blanc and watch the moon rise. And then the mosquitoes arrived.


I do have to admit that when I first arrived back in Jacksonville, that I wasn't up for much. After the long flight and the long work hours prior to my departure, pretty much all I could manage was to just sit and stare at the waves for a while. It was very refreshing.

The Atlantic Ocean:


I also headed up to Santa Barbara for a few days, to take care of business and see friends. And to be reminded of how cold it could be there. Although apparently it was scorching hot the previous week during the Jesusita Fire. We could see ash on the ground along the beach, and up in the hills we could see where it had burned and where they had created the fire breaks. It was a sober reminder of how tentative our lives can be when confronted by the forces of nature.

The Pacific Ocean:


Posted by Picasa

No comments: