Monday, February 23, 2009

Crab cake experiment

Ok, so I finally experimented with crab cakes. I'd been thinking about crab cakes for a while. And it's not like I can just come home from work and say, "Hey, how about going to Sliders for dinner tonight?" anymore. So I had to come up with my own. Or find a restaurant that served them.

I used a combination of recipes from Mark Bittman in the New York Times, one from Simply Recipes, and the one on the box of Old Bay seasoning. I liked the thought of using all crab with little to no filler that was in the Mark Bittman recipe, but I wanted a bit more crunch and bite. Unfortunately, I wasn't really up to the challenge of going to the fish market and buying a whole crab, then wrestling it into a pot and cooking it, so I resorted to the canned and packaged Chicken of the Sea crab. Next time I will probably try to find a restaurant where I can get crab, and preferably just the edible parts of the crab. I'd like the fresh crab but I really don't think I'm up to wrestling with a whole, live crab, then cleaning it.

In addition to the crab cakes, I made some salmon for those that are allergic to shellfish. I just baked some salmon fillets with soy sauce and some sliced onion. My apologies for the pictures, I forgot to take the photos until we'd scarfed down most of the food.


These are the crabcakes. Basic recipe is a pound of crab meat, a tablespoon or so of dijon mustard, some fresh ground pepper, and an egg. I tossed in some very finely diced celery and onion, a couple of tablespoons of Japanese breadcrumbs, and a few dashes of Old Bay seasoning. After mixing it all together, I froze it for about 15 minutes according to the Bittman recipe. Then made the patties and refrigerated those. The recipe said to refrigerate for 30 minutes minimum, up to a day maximum. Everything was still very liquid when I molded the patties, so I was very surprised that for the most part these maintained their shape when I fried them.

The next time, I'll probably add more seasoning and more vegetable to give it more spice and crunch. Otherwise, these were tasty. And quite excellent served over salad for lunch today.


And this was dessert. A lovely apple crumble with pistachios and other nuts. Yummy. Note, I managed to take a photo before we dug in.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: